
Baking Cookies
Technology is an important area of the Early Childhood Curriculum. In order to participate in the world, our children will need the confidence to develop their own perspectives as well as the capacity to continue acquiring new knowledge and skills. (Ministry of Education, 1996). Therefore we need to explore technology in Early Childhood Curriculum. My understanding of the term technology related to digital devices such as computer, phones, camera, tablet, TV, PlayStation and IPod until I read the article ‘Technology in Early Childhood’ which describes non digital technology that are already being used in the Early Childhood settings. Few examples of non-digital technology included a ballpoint pen, hammer, glue, a paper clip, sandpit toys and many more. These were the things that were used for a purpose and solve people’s problems by using them. This is exactly what technology is about but it surprised me when I read that cooking is related to technology.
To get a better understanding I tried to relate it with the baking experience we had with the children from my centre recently. The baking experience began by the teacher talking to children about the purpose of the activity which was making pig and fish shaped cookies. Children learnt about hygiene as they washed their hands before starting to cook. They also develop mathematical concepts as they measured the ingredients such as flour, sugar, milk and butter and ginger powder. It increased their vocabulary as they learnt the names of the ingredients used to make the cookies. Children used their physical skills to hold the bowls, spoons and mix the ingredient together. They also used their physical skills in order to roll the flour dough using rollers and cut the fish and pig shaped cookies using the mould. They develop social skills as everyone participated and shared the work. They were curious and interested to follow the recipe step by step and patiently waited to see the results. Through participation children felt confidence in taking some responsibility for enquiring and testing ideas to solve problems. (Ministry of Education, 2007). They realised that the product (cookies) looked very different at the end of the session. Children had a lot of fun making the cookies and enjoyed eating the cookies they made together. The activity was supported and scaffold by the teacher .Children used their cognitive skills to answer the questions asked by the teachers in the process of making cookies. This one activity itself helped children develop physically, socially, cognitively and emotionally and thus providing all round development in children. This activity gave me a broader picture that technology is not just digital but also is ‘A creative and purposeful activity aimed at meeting needs and opportunities through the development of the products’ (Smorti, 1999, p.5).
Although the reading the ‘Technology in Early Childhood’ by Smorti has given me better understanding of non-digital technology that are used in Early Childhood settings I still struggle to recognise some of the non-digital technologies that are used at my centre. As an Early Childhood teacher if I have to scaffold children's learning in technology I need to broaden my understand of technology and continue to extend my knowledge and skill base. As a learner, my ideas about technologies are still developing and I expect they will change as I continue to research and reflect on what is happening to educators and children as well as explore technology in the Early Childhood Curriculum. I know it’s a challenge and will take time for me to get understanding about technology but rather than getting frustrated I guess I just need to embrace it as it is a technological world.
References.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā
mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood
curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington,
New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999) Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10.
Smorti, S. (1999) Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10.

Like you, I too was surprised when I read in Smorti (1999) that cooking is related to technology and I was more puzzled when I read ballpoint pen, hammer, glue, paper clip, and sandpit toys are also technology. Whatever solves problems are called technology is a new knowledge to me.
ReplyDeleteYou could also relate your cooking activity with science. As Smorti (1999) said thinking about causes is also science. The children must be thinking why the product (cookies) looked very different at the end of the session.
You are right Fatima. Instead of brooding on, take it up as a challenge and go for the technological world. Since you like cooking, you can google, and get many easy recipes that you can cook with children. One day you can also try my mini recipe of 1minute cupcake, as it is a process cooking which is a technological activity (Smorti, 1999).
I believe Smorti’s reading has been a complete surprise to all of us as we were not looking at technology in that context. This reading made me aware of the fact that there is more to technology than electronic, digital and mechanical products. Now that we have two reflections on baking as technology is proof enough that we now acknowledge Smorti’s reading as an eye opener for us. I would like to encourage you to embrace technology as it is the future and children need to be made aware of the different technologies present around them. According to New Zealand curriculum, “Adaptation and innovation are at the heart of technological practice. Quality outcomes result from thinking and practices that are informed, critical, and creative” (Ministry of Education, 2007. p.37). Practice makes one perfect and the more you use ICT it will come naturally to you. Engage in activities that will make you aware of technology that is used and share it with children.
ReplyDeleteGreat reflection on baking Fatima! As Varsha and Judy mentioned, I myself was also stunned at how much technology can not only be seen through digital devices but it can also be seen through other objects we tend to take for granted such as simple things like a pen, or even a book. I enjoyed how you took the time to implement children's learning as well as yourself by being able to discover and explore with other uses of technology. I understand that sometimes that it is not always easy to learn something new, but I also agree that as educators and teachers it is our duty to keep up with the new technologies so that we are equipped and are able to teach our children. As children learn more and more about the new technologies, it will be helpful for children to know that their teachers and families show interest and are keen to learn about the new technologies. Although it seems tough now, but I am very confident you will get the hang of it Fatima. Great effort.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that I will define non-digital technology such as the ballpoint pen, brick, racehorse, clothes peg, corkscrew, hammer, newspaper and so on, as technology until I read the article by Smorti called “Technology in Early Childhood”. You stated in your reflection that technology is about a creative and purposeful activity aimed at meeting needs and opportunities through the development of the product. This idea was very new to me until I started this course, and I also need to develop my understanding of technology to provide a good quality learning environment for children. I remembered when I met you at the beginning of the course, you told our lecturer you had difficulties in writing essays on computer, but you are now doing it and you are even making blogs and wikis through assignments. We have to develop our digital technology skills because when teachers feel they don’t need to be familiar with technology “the value of the technology is seriously diminished” (Tsantis, Bewick, & Thouvenelle, 2003, p.4). We will be able to develop our ability of it for sure.
ReplyDelete