Use of Internet
Although I did not have high knowledge and
skill in using computers I first assured to myself that using computer with the
children is a right thing to do. I also had to be personally comfortable with
using the laptop. My overriding concern was that if I press a key, it will
result in losing all my important work. I also believed that it is the
teacher’s knowledge and skill about how to use the technology that makes the
difference, not the technology itself (Tsantis, Bewick, Thouvenelle, 2003, p. 4).
So I decided to do a little bit of homework by finding the websites about the
bus station and picked an appropriate video that had information about bus
station. I practised the steps that I had to follow in order to find the
website and the video. Then the next day I presented the video to the children
at mat time. I followed the step confidently as I was modelling children how to
use the computer. Children watched each and every step that I did in order to
get to the video.
As the video
started, all the children were focused on what was happening in the video. They
watched and listened with full concentration. As they watched, they were able
to identify the numbers, count the number of buses, colours, and names (driver,
people, tickets, seats, doors, and windows) as well as the opposite words like
big bus, small bus, short bus, long bus. They were very interested, excited and
curious to know how the bus station works and asked questions like where is the
bus going? What is this bus called? After the video ended, the teacher shared
her own experience of travelling by bus and then encouraged children to share
their own personal experiences which developed their thinking. They shared
their experiences of travelling in a bus with their families. “Children
developed the ability to represent their discovery using creative and
expressive media and the technology associated with them”. (Ministry of
Education, 1996, p.88). Using internet captured children’s interest, encouraged
social interaction and supports their passion for learning. Using internet as a
source, helped children develop social, language, maths and cognitive skills. Children
gain experience in using communication technologies such as computers (Ministry
of Education, 2007).
It was a quite positive experience as I was
fully prepared about the possibilities which might come across during my
session. This made me feel confident, competent and excited as I used the
internet with the children. I know that I still have to gain much more
knowledge and skill in using computers which I am already working on. This is
important to me as “Teachers computer proficiency can have a direct impact on
how effectively children learning needs are met through technology” (Tsantis,
Bewick, Thouvenelle, 2003, p. 4).
References
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā
mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood
curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington,
New Zealand: Learning Media.
Talay-Ongan, A., & Ap, E. A. (Eds.). (2005). Child development and teaching young children. Southbank,
Australia: Thomson Social Science Press.
Tsantis, L. A., Bewick, C. J., & Thouvenelle, S. (2003). Examining
some common myths about computer use in the early years. Young Children, 58(1), 1-9.


Internet is a part of my social world too. Since I am a new immigrant and my families and friends are away, internet is the only cheap solution to be in touch with them. I cannot think of my professional development without the help of a computer and internet. One thing that frustrates me is a slow internet connection during mat time. When I start browsing with the children, it takes ages for the page to appear. Since the children’s attention span is very less, they begin to lose concentration. It happened to me when I was doing the Astronaut activity.
ReplyDeleteIt was a nice activity that you have picked up to do with the children, as ‘wheels on the bus’ is a song that NZ children like unanimously. You have done the right thing by doing your home work from home. You might do these kinds of activities more often to develop your technological skill as well as practice.
It is great to see that you could draw on your previous experience of using a computer to finish an assignment and reflect on it. As you pointed out in your reflection I agree to the fact that sometimes computer is the only solution to solve some important tasks. Computers with internet provide access to lot of information which is audio visual and thus gets the attention of children. I think you showed great problem solving by using a computer when you were unable to visit the bus station and as Te Whāriki, states growing experience in solving problems together develops children’s understanding of how technologies can help them and others” (Ministry of Education, 1996. p.96).
ReplyDeleteYou showed great commitment to the learning of the children by providing them the experience of using the technology effectively. As you mentioned this experience made you feel confident to use computers with the children I assure you that some research on topics and guidance from your children at home will go a long way in your journey to embrace ICT in your practice.
I love using all sorts of digital devices and am very confident when using the computer and the internet, but I also understand your point of view about how you work with technology. It was great that you used past experiences to reflect on about your situation when using technology with children. As well as this, it was great to see that you used your imagination as well as your initiative to create and use other tools around your centre to complete your assignment. You showed persistance, and also your energy of willingness to complete the children's learning and development. As Ministry of Education (1996) quotes, "adults provide encouragement, warmth, and acceptance...also provide challenges for creative learning and thinking..." (p. 43).
ReplyDeleteYou used the internet effectively for your excursion project with the children. It is true that it is the teacher’s knowledge and skill about how to use the technology that makes the difference, not the technology itself as you mentioned in your reflection. Using the internet would be less time consuming as well. I talked about a desktop computer and use of internet in my reflection too. Therefore, I now realise that the internet is essential for children’s learning. Te Whāriki states that “children gain experience in using communication technologies such as crayons, paintbrushes, pencils, calculators, books, and computers” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.97). Children will develop their social, language, and cognitive skills through using the internet together as a communication tool. I am now thinking that if our centre has a big screen it would be much better for children’s learning. The screen of both a laptop computer and a desktop computer are so small for group learning. Does your centre have one, Fatima?
ReplyDelete