Compact Disc Player
Technology has
gained acceptance in education of young children as being ‘a tool’, a medium
for providing possibilities and opportunities for children and is viewed as a resource
for encouraging children to make meaning and to engage in life enhancing
relationships. (Talay-Ongan, 2005) Children's use of computer, Television,
Video, Camera’s and CD players enables them to access a world of animation and
imagination, story, music and movement in enriched and engaging ways. Out of
these electronic devices, CD players are one of the most commonly found devices
in today’s world. A compact disc player is a very sophisticated piece of
electronic equipment. The simple exterior contains complex interior mechanism
to read and process audio signals into very clear and crisp music.
There are many
advantages of using CD players in Early Childhood settings. I realised its
importance when I saw how the use of CD player helped a new child transitioning
in the settings. When the child started his first week at the centre he cried.
He pointed his finger to the door telling us that he wants to go home. At his
first visit to the centre the teachers had discussed with his parents about his
likes and dislikes. The teachers knew from the parents that he likes to listen
to the music of the Wiggles when he is upset. So when the child was upset the teachers would
take him to the music corner, put the Wiggles song on the CD player and sing
and dance along with him. They had to do this many times but finally it helped
the child to settle. This helped the child developed “an understanding of the
links between early childhood settings and the known and the familiar wider
world through sounds are same as at home” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.56). I have also
experienced that when teachers put tidy up songs or the music used for sleeping
time on the CD player, children without any hassle, confusion start to tidy up
the areas all together or get the message that it’s sleeping time now. I think
this saves so much time, energy and it helps in smooth transition from one
activity to another. There is no stress for the child or the teacher. It
promotes a calm and peaceful atmosphere and gives a good understanding of what
they are expected to do.
Besides transition,
it has other advantages too. It increases children’s vocabulary by listening to
the songs or stories played on the CD player. It also encourages children's ability
to listen and thus to concentrate. Children naturally respond to music by
moving and being active. Large group of children can participate in the activity
developing their social skills. It helps in relaxing their minds and stress
levels as they listen to the music or songs played on the CD players. CD player
can also be used to hear an audio book read aloud. CD players can increase a
child’s confidence level by letting them listen to the stories while turning
pages of the book themselves. It also develops their leadership skills and gain
confidence to interact with their peers. Using the CD player with the children
helps their growing experiences in solving problems together and develops
understanding of how technologies can help them and others (Ministry of Education,
2007).
I personally think
that compact disc player is a good technological device that can be used at
early childhood centres because it not only enhances children’s physical,
social, emotional, intellectual development but also helps in making teaching
fun, effective and live. I believe that my role as a teacher is to provide and
make use of this technological device and let children explore them because
this is their world.
References
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā
mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood
curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington,
New Zealand: Learning Media.
Talay-Ongan, A., & Ap, E. A. (Eds.). (2005). Child development and teaching young children. Southbank,
Australia: Thomson Social Science Press.

Thank you Fatima for your reflection about the use of CD player in your centre. My only concern while I was reading this reflection was about the child who was transitioning at the centre. As we have discussed in class Television, CD and other electronic items are used by some educators as baby sitting tools. I can understand that the educators were using the CD to engage the child in the centres routine but as you may be aware we have other strategies for transitioning children. I also agree with you on the fact that the children are living in a world full of gadgets.
ReplyDeleteTo conclude my response and to encourage and engage you to use technology freely, I would like to quote Tsantis, Bewick & Thouvenelle. 2003, “As educators we need to understand how modern technologies can help us better meet the social, physical, and learning needs of young children”. (p.8). Educators should never allow prejudice of any form to cloud our vision or prevent our use of effective tools.
Gone are the days of CD players and ipods are taking its place. My centre doesn’t have a CD player, but has an ipod, which we place out of the children’s reach. However I feel, since CD players are not as expensive as ipods, children could use it freely. Now my centre uses old CDs to make crafts. You can get some ideas from You Tube and make some craft from old CD with children. Each child can make a clock with rotating needles. They can also make some animals out of old CDs.
ReplyDeleteI too noticed that certain music is like a bell for children’s transitioning. I like music and I thought most children like it too. Recently one of my friends had come to my house with her two children who were 8 years and 6 years. The 6 year old felt sleepy and I settled her in my bedroom and played a slow music. Her mother said to me not to play it because it reminds her about her pre-school days of sleeping. Her comment made me think. Is it the sleeping time or the music that the child doesn’t like?
Oh how I remember the days of CD players and walkmans. My centre still uses an old CD player to play their music with during music activities. It wasn't until I asked if they wanted to use my ipod as I saw that the other teachers would come with stacks and stacks of CD's and have nowhere to put it, whereas with the ipod you can store as many songs as you like in a little device which is easy to hold and store. So the teachers did give it a go, and were very happy and pleased they could finally use something that was more efficient for their needs as well as the safety for the children. I love music, and I too agree on the importance of how music makes children feel. Maybe you could also implement using other devices such as an ipod with children but only if others and yourself are comfortable with it too.
ReplyDeleteIn my experience, using a compact disc player in the centre is interesting. I think this kind of technology is quite tough, and other teachers felt the same. That is why the teachers in my old centre and current centre allowed children to operate it by themselves. However, both of the players were broken soon. We did not know why but we stopped letting children use it. It is a sad thing. As a teaching tool, a CD player is so useful. Basically, the teachers in my centre use it to listen to audio books, classical music for resting time, active music for dancing and expressing children’s emotions. You could use an iPod as a next step. I have actually never had my own iPod and used one but when I went to the Kindergarten for teaching practicum last year, the head teacher told me how amazing the iPod is as a teaching tool. I will study the iPod too.
ReplyDelete