Sunday, 7 April 2013

Refection 4

                                                          Reflection 4

   Creating a blog was a challenge for me as I had very basic skills in ICT but after reading the article ‘Examining some common myths about computer use in the early years’ made me reflect and come to the conclusion of having a go with the blog without letting any myths come in my way. It also reminded me of the guest speaker from Botany Downs Kindergarten of how much influence technology has in children's world. I thought this is a good opportunity for me to be determining to complete the blog and practise my ICT skills. As a result I was able to write the reflection, give comments on the blogs and practise my ICT skills.
   I wrote reflections of how I took initiatives in promoting computer technology as well as implementing baking experience in my centre. My group members gave me encouragement and praised me for being brave and determined on improving my skills by practising it in the centre. They also advised me that I should keep on practising until I get the hang of it.I thank them for their generous feedback. On the other hand they also noticed that I was kind of using the old technology such as CD player .They suggested me that I need to keep on updating the new technologies as children live in technological world. They supported their feedback saying that if teachers feel they don’t need to be familiar with the changing world of technologies then they are diminishing the value of technology. (Tsantis, Berwick &Thouvenelle, 2003).They made me aware of the new technology that could replace the CD player .They discussed that using iPod s in place of CD player can be more beneficial as it can store abundance of data solving the problem of having number of cds stacked. I had heard about the iPod s  but I am not comfortable using it as I don’t know how to use it .But now I am going learn how it  works from my fourteen year old son and suggest the plan of using the iPod s explaining the advantages to my Centre teachers. This will help children gain experience in using communication technologies such as books, computers, and iPod s (Ministry of Education, 1996). It was a big surprise to read  that  the materials such as cooking ,pen, ice- cream stick  were related to technology (Smorti ,1999) .Even though after reading the article  I still couldn't get head around it .Reading each other’s reflections of non-technological  materials  on blog promoted a better understanding of some of the non-technological materials and the reasons how they helped children develop and solve problems.
Today’s children are so advanced in using the technology. It has become their world as it provides with so many advantages .They already know how to use some of the technological devices. They use their knowledge and skills in helping their peers solve their problems in using the technology. This promotes the Vygotskian technique of using skilled peers to support children learning.(Santrock,2010).They develop communication skills as well as social skills such as turn taking ,negotiating  and develop relationship and friendships with their peers. Communication technologies such as books, computers, and iPod s help them gain the information and increase their vocabulary developing their literacy. Using technologies help children develop confidence in themselves and be able to continue acquiring new knowledge and skills. (Ministry of Education, 1996) .They develops the abilities to represent their discoveries using creative and expressive media. Non- digital technologies like fixing wheels or cooking helps them develop their physical skills, scientific skills as well as learn mathematical concepts such a measurement, time and numbers. Teachers using or modelling technologies such as camera helps children to learn and imitate the skills needed to use the technological devices through pretend play.
The fact that technology has a vast influence on children learning scares me as I have not much skills and knowledge of technology. I guess I just have to embrace it , research and keep up date of the new technology and their use .This knowledge will help me scaffold children's learning in technology.

References
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Santrock, J.W. (2010). Lifespan development: International student edition (12th ed.). Boston McGraw Hill.
Smorti, S. (1999) Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10.
Tsantis, L. A., Bewick, C. J., & Thouvenelle, S. (2003). Examining some common myths about computer use in the early years. Young Children, 58(1), 1-9.



No comments:

Post a Comment